Fritters with Lemon Mousse and Strawberries
Deep-fried fritters are wonderful on their own but become over-the-top amazing with a creamy lemon mousse and sweet strawberries. Raspberries and blueberries yield equally good results. —Shannon Bell, Woodstock, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Cook: 5 min./batch
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a small heavy saucepan, whisk egg yolks, sugar and lemon juice until blended. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and a thermometer reads at least 170°. Do not allow to boil. Immediately remove from heat. Transfer to a small bowl; cool 10 minutes. Refrigerate, covered, at least 30 minutes or until cold.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Fold into lemon mixture. Refrigerate, covered, until serving.
- For topping, in a small bowl, toss strawberries with honey and sugar. Let stand until juices are released from strawberries.
- For fritters, in a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk egg, milk, melted butter and orange zest until blended. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- To serve, spoon mousse into dessert dishes; top with strawberries. Serve with fritters.
Originally published as Citrus Fritters with Lemon Mousse and Macerated Berries in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2015