Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 10 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Lime slices, optional
- In a small saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch and salt; whisk in egg yolks and milk until smooth. Whisk in citrus juices until blended; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Stir in citrus zests.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl. Cover surface with plastic wrap; refrigerate until cold.
- To serve, in a small bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Fold into citrus mixture. Spoon into serving dishes. If desired, top with lime slices.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 257 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 149mg cholesterol, 57mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 16, 2016
Very citrus-y and creamy, and so easy to make. This was a hit with my family.
Oct 13, 2014
First off: Plan to eat this the same day you make it!!! Why? The citric juices begin to "cook" the dairy ingredients and the texture is not as good the next day. I make this for summer night meals when lemon and lime flavors are especially appreciated. This one takes a bit of time and effort but it is made ahead of time anyway to cool in the fridge. I put in more than 1 Tbsp. of lime--maybe 2 Tablespoons. I also sometimes add green or yellow food coloring b/c without it, it looks a bit bland. The flavor is very good however. Suitable for company.