Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 4 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- Oil for frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the egg, milk, butter, orange juice, zest and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1/4 in. of oil to 375°. Drop batter by rounded tablespoons into oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve warm.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 11, 2013
I love this! It is so delicious!! I added and extra tablespoon of orange juice and milk to make it thinner. I will definitely make this again!
Oct 7, 2012
Very good! It makes a small batch. I tripled the recipe for my family of 7. Also, it makes a very thick batter, so I thinned it with more milk so it was lay down in the electric skillet, instead of staying in a big blob.
Sep 25, 2012
Easy and delicious! I added cinnamon to the batter. Would definitely make again.
Jun 18, 2012
It tasted great but I never follow a recipe to a tee and it seems I made fried mini apple pies rather than apple fritters. I literally folded the apples in. Into little triangles of dough. That I then fried. Oops. So the apples were in the center. I also modified the recipe. Because I thought I was supposed to fold the apples in, I made a filling for the apples the way I make apple pie, it's caramel sauce, cinnamon, flour and brown sugar. It's sooo good. Even though I totally botched the recipe, it tasted great.
Jan 15, 2012
Really good. Hot and fresh is the best. Makes a small batch.
Oct 29, 2011
I love these for breakfast and for dessert.
Nov 28, 2010
I just made these, they were simple and delicious. I used some cinnamon and a little more apple, the rest I left the same. Brought some over to my mom, she loved them too. Light and tasty!
Mar 7, 2010
These were good, but very heavy. You couldn't really taste the apple.
Mar 8, 2009
hubby a diabetic, Splenda worked great.Adding cinnamon a plus.
Feb 7, 2008
add cinnamon and increase salt to 1/2 tsp