Apple Fritter Cake
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium apples, peeled and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer or unsweetened apple juice, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 5 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line an 8-in. square baking pan with parchment paper, letting ends extend up sides.
- Whisk together the first five ingredients. Add apples and beer; mix just until blended (do not overmix; batter will be thick). Transfer to prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 40-45 minutes.
- Lifting with parchment paper, immediately remove cake from pan. Brush all sides with melted butter. Cool. Meanwhile, combine all icing ingredients. Spread or drizzle over cooled cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 261 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 350mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 15, 2018
This is a dense cake but moist. I used apple juice instead of beer. I found the cinnamon overwhelming. I would have liked to have seen a mix of spices to give it more depth. Don't skip the butter step as it is important for the cake's texture. The rest of my household loved it but it wasn't to my taste.
Feb 7, 2018
Tastes just like apple fritters! I used apple juice instead of beer. Delicious!
Jan 30, 2018
As a rule, I generally wait for a recipe to be reviewed before I make it. Unfortunately, I did not follow my own rule this time. I followed this recipe to a T and was disappointed with the final result. Extremely dense and not flavorful in any way. It seemed toe that the fourth of a cup of sugar was too little and I was correct. This has no sweetness to it, save the icing drizzle. I used room temp MGD, so maybe that was the problem? Anyway, maybe I will tweak it and/or come back to see how others tweak it but, as written, we did not care for this.