- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (6-1/2 ounces) minced clams
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Optional: Tartar sauce and lemon wedges
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper; set aside. Drain clams, reserving 2 tablespoons juice; set clams aside. In a small bowl, beat the egg, milk and reserved clam juice; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Add the clams and onion.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into oil. Fry for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels. Serve fritters with tartar sauce and lemon wedges if desired.
1 fritter: 73 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 176mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.