- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Shredded lettuce, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped ripe olives, sour cream and additional salsa, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon cumin. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Stir in enough water for mixture to form a ball. Knead on a floured surface for 1 minute. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, combine the chicken, salsa, beans, onion powder, chili powder and remaining cumin. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- For tortillas, divide dough into eight balls; roll each ball into an 8-in. circle. In an ungreased skillet, cook tortillas, one at a time, until lightly browned, about 30 seconds on each side.
- Layer between pieces of waxed paper or paper towel; keep warm. Spoon chicken mixture over half of each tortilla and fold over. Serve with lettuce, cheese, olives, sour cream and salsa if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Black Bean Chicken Tacos
Sort By :
The filling turned out too runny to put in a tortilla, so I served it in bowls. Definitely need to add a dash of salt to the tortilla dough.
Very good. When I am in a hurry I use store bought whole grain tortillas.
This is the best tortilla recipe that I've ever made. I use them for everything not just this recipe. I'd have to make the chicken and black bean filling at least another time to see if it deserves as many stars. :)
What a fun new twist on tacos. Even my picky eaters loved them. Thank you.