- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine or beef broth, divided
- 1/2 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 1 tablespoon wine or broth; add beef. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 30 minutes. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, water and remaining soy sauce and wine or broth until smooth; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry beef in 2 teaspoons oil for 3-4 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm. Stir-fry onion in remaining oil for 1 minute. Add asparagus; stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add celery, garlic and red pepper flakes; stir-fry 4-6 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add beef; heat through. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 3 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Beef Asparagus Stir-Fry
"This stir-fry has excellent flavor. My only critiques are that it wasn't salty enough for my liking and I personally have to have black pepper in all of my meat recipes. I just added a tablespoon more of soy sauce, and a teaspoon of black pepper, and it came out perfect. The wine gave it a nice alternative for acidity vs. the usual lime juice I normally use in a stir-fry recipe. I will definitely make this again."
"This recipe was easy to make and a big hit with my family, including my finicky 7 year old! She even went back for seconds. I used the beef broth instead of the dry read wine. I will definitely use this recipe again!"