- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium red onions, chopped
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Mix rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. Place onions in a roasting pan; place chicken over onions, breast side up.
- Pat chicken dry. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from chicken; rub rosemary mixture under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together.
- Mix wine and vinegar; pour over chicken. Roast 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.)
- Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Transfer onion and pan drippings to a small bowl; skim fat. Remove and discard skin from chicken before serving. Serve with onion sauce. Yield: 12 servings (1-1/2 cups onion sauce).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Balsamic Roast Chicken
"I used a 4-1/2 lb chicken and made it as is except for cooking it in an oven bag. It came out very moist and was done in 1-3/4 hours. The next time I would cut back on the balsamic vinegar a bit and not use so much red onion. I thickened the sauce w/ cornstarch and added more low sodium chicken broth. It was tastier the next day and I would make again."
"Very tasty. The balsamic gives the broth a wonderful flavor, and the chicken was moist. I chose to add potatoes and carrots to the broth, around the chicken in the roasting pan. Turned out great... meal & sides all in one pot."
"Delicious. I used brandy (because that was all I had) with the balsamic vinegar and it was wonderful. I think a hearty Burgundy would be even better. Have added to my "Company's Coming" cookbook."
"AMAZING! Turned out beautifully . Very tasty ."
"This roast chicken is the best we had ever eaten. The chicken is very tasty and the onion gravy is so delish. my families can't stop raving about it. Thank you Tracy for sharing it."