Tomato Balsamic Chicken
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked orzo
- Place carrots and shallots in a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker; top with chicken. In a bowl, whisk flour and broth until smooth; stir in tomatoes, vinegar, oil, garlic and seasonings. Pour over chicken. Cook, covered, on low until chicken and carrots are tender, 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken; cool slightly. Discard bay leaf and, if desired, skim fat from carrot mixture.
- Remove chicken from bones; shred slightly with two forks. Return to slow cooker and heat through. Serve with orzo.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chicken mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup chicken mixture: 235 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 433mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Mar 25, 2018
I made this yesterday and my husband and I both liked it. I used boneless chicken breast instead of thighs since that's what I had, and yellow onion instead of shallots. The only thing I would do differently is either cut back on the liquid or thicken it some before serving. The chicken was very moist and we liked the light balsamic flavor. Definitely a keeper!
Feb 10, 2018
I thought this was a good recipe, but I would have liked more balsamic flavor. I'll add more next time.
Dec 16, 2016
Found this to be bland, had to add add'l spice and even some "hot salt". The chicken was moist and easy to shred, but that's as good as I can go here.