Almond Chicken & Strawberry-Balsamic Sauce
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup unblanched almonds, coarsely ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup strawberry preserves
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 package (9 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the bread crumbs, almonds, salt and pepper. Add chicken, one piece at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with butter-flavored spray, cook chicken in 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, cook shallots in remaining oil until tender. Stir in the broth, preserves, vinegar and rosemary. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5-6 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add spinach; cover and boil for 3-5 minutes or until wilted. Drain; serve with chicken and sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 349 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 476mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 23, 2018
This recipe was delicious! I made a few modifications:1)I diced up a few fresh, ripe strawberries, and added them to the sauce ingredients.2) Since I used dried rosemary, I blended all the sauce ingredients in a blender. I hate when the sprigs get stuck in your teeth and throat, and this made the flavors come together nicely.3) I used almond flour instead of chopped almonds. Since almond flour is just finely ground almonds, it stuck to the chicken perfectly.I highly recommend this recipe, it was delicious! I served it with brussels sprouts and quinoa.
Apr 8, 2018
I made this and it was just okay for me. It may be a preference of taste. I followed others’ suggestions and flattened the chicken breasts. I dipped each breast in oil thinking this might help the pancko and almonds to stick better, but iI had trouble getting the coating to stick. I probably won’t make it again.
Oct 16, 2017
I made this with homemade plum jelly because that's what I had. It was fabulous. I have made this several times and it has become a favorite.
Sep 23, 2017
My husband loves this even tho he doesn't care much for chicken, so for us it's a great go to meal for the two of us to agree upon. I alternate between a Strawberry with Peppers and Apricot preserves to change it up.
Oct 12, 2016
Sauce is lovely.
Jan 17, 2016
Definitely making this recipe again! To make the chicken cook evenly, I did flatten the breasts. Next time I make this I may dredge the breasts rather than shake them in a bag. My husband, son and I all cleaned our plates. I felt there was too much fat in the pan after removing the chicken so after making the sauce I put it through a fat strainer. I put the solids in a gravy boat and strained the fat off. I think the sauce was better. Next time I'll drain much of the fat before sauteeing the shallots. As a Volunteer Filed Editor I highly recommend this recipe.
Nov 23, 2015
This was delicious! I butterflied each breast, then pounded flat to make sure it would cook a little quicker and not burn the coating - worked great. The sauce was just perfect. I have made it twice to rave reviews and will be making it many more times. Thanks!!
Jun 6, 2015
I was a liitle disappointed in this recipe, but I would make it again. The coating was starting to burn by the time the chicken was completely done and it would not all stay on...maybe try to double coat next time and make sure the chicken is cut thin enough to cook quicker. Absolutely loved the sauce with it, but not overly flavorful without it.
Mar 21, 2015
My boyfriend and I absolutely love this recipe. I do make alterations to it, though. I reduce the balsamic vinegar by 1 TBSP, use 1 cup of fresh (blended) strawberries, and add 2 TBSP strawberry preserves. I use the leftover sauce (if any) for any chicken I may have during the week. It's fantastic!
Dec 25, 2014
This was really good. I would definitely flatten the chicken to 1/4" thick, otherwise the crumb coating will burn before the center is done.