This vegetable dish goes great with just about any meal. I've prepared it ahead of time, then popped it in the oven so it's ready with the meal.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces or 2 packages (10 ounces each) asparagus cuts, thawed
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- In a large skillet, saute asparagus and onions in 1 tablespoon of butter until crisp-tender, about 8 minutes. Transfer to an ungreased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat. Add the cream cheese, salt and pepper; stir until cheese is melted. Pour over vegetables. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Asparagus Onion Casserole in Country April/May 2000, p49
Reviews for Asparagus Onion Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review