- 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces or 2 packages (10 ounces each) asparagus cuts, thawed
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- In a large skillet, saute asparagus and onions in 1 tablespoon of butter until crisp-tender, about 8 minutes. Transfer to an ungreased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat. Add the cream cheese, salt and pepper; stir until cheese is melted. Pour over vegetables. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Asparagus Onion Casserole
"I made it for Thanksgiving instead of the green bean casserole. Everyone loved it."
"Very Good. I used lite margarine and cream cheese also. Best with fresh asparagus."
"great but modified by adding more asparagus and less onion ( guess its up to what you like)"
"I would give this recipe 10 stars if i could. I loved it!!"
"Made this for Mothers Day. Loved by everyone. A new favorite! I used sweet onions, and only baked until bread crumbs were brown so asparagus remained crisp tender."