- 4 slices whole wheat cinnamon-raisin bread
- 4 slices sharp white cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
- 1 small apple, thinly sliced
- 1 thin slice red onion, separated into rings
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- Layer each of two bread slices with one slice cheese. Top with apple and onion. If desired, sprinkle with pepper flakes. Top with the remaining cheese and bread. Spread outsides of sandwiches with butter.
- In a large skillet, toast sandwiches over medium-low heat 3-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Apple-White Cheddar Grilled Cheese
"While there were some concerned looks from my husband and teenage son while I was assembling these sandwiches, the end results are amazing! Ratings of "Best sandwich Ever" and "Oh my gosh, can I have another?" were heard from the dinner table. Warning, you WILL go through an entire loaf of cinnamon bread! Don't plan on any leftovers. The flavors in this sandwich are complex and blend beautifully. This is a new family favorite!"