Browned Butter Apple Pie with Cheddar Crust
How do you make good old-fashioned apple pie even better? Enhance the crust with shredded cheddar cheese and stir browned butter into the filling. Wonderful! —Kathryn Conrad, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons semolina flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 14 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup shredded aged sharp cheddar cheese
- 10 to 12 tablespoons ice water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 8 large Honeycrisp apples, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces (about 12 cups)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Place flours and salt in a food processor; pulse until blended. Add butter; pulse until butter is the size of peas. Add cheese; pulse 1-2 times. Transfer flour mixture to a large bowl. Gradually add ice water to flour mixture tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°. For filling, in a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Heat 5-7 minutes or until golden brown, stirring constantly.
- Stir in apples and sugars; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 6-8 minutes or until apples are almost tender. Uncover; cook 4-6 minutes longer or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour. Transfer apple mixture to a large bowl; refrigerate until cool.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the dough to fit a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate; trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Add filling to pastry. Roll remaining dough to a 12-in. circle; cut into eight wedges. Place wedges over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. In a small bowl, whisk egg with water; brush over pastry.
- Bake 45-55 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edge loosely with foil during the last 15 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 580 calories, 30g fat (18g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 486mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 6g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Browned Butter Apple Pie with Aged Cheddar Crust in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.