Zesty Horseradish Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 4 slices whole wheat bread, crumbled
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- Soak bread in milk for 5 minutes. Drain and discard milk. Stir in next nine ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into a loaf in a15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Spread top with ketchup. Bake at 350° until a thermometer inserted in the center reads 160°, 45-55 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.Freeze option: Omitting ketchup, bake as directed. Securely wrap cooled meat loaf in plastic wrap and foil, then freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Unwrap and spread top with ketchup. Reheat on a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan in a preheated 350° oven until a thermometer inserted in center reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 207 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 640mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Nov 5, 2016
This was the worst meat loaf I have ever had & I love meatloaf. It was bland, you really didn't taste the horseradish and I probably will throw the leftovers away - was a waste of my time to make it ....
Nov 5, 2016
My husband loves horseradish but didn't care for the flavor of this at all. I'm not sure how other people had such success with this- four slices of bread soaked in a quarter cup of milk, and then drain the excess milk? I used only three slices of bread and it entirely soaked up all the milk and some of the bread was still dry. We just didn't care for the flavor and ended up feeding it to the chickens instead.
Oct 9, 2016
The flavor of this meat loaf was outstanding. I was worried about the texture but the milk soaked bread really kept it from being dry. I was out of Worcestershire and so used BBQ sauce mixed in with the ketchup.
Sep 13, 2016
The best meatloaf we've had in a while! A true winner! My husband hid some to make a sandwich for work with the next day! Love it!
Sep 9, 2016
Adding horseradish to meatloaf is a brilliant idea! It really livens up to recipe. It adds some zest, without being too overpowering. I will definitely make this again for my family.
Sep 8, 2016
My husband refused to eat meatloaf until I tried this recipe. He loves horseradish ... this became an instant "hit". Thank you for sharing!
Sep 4, 2016
This meatloaf lives up to it's name "Zesty". My husband loved it. I am also a vegetarian like Nancy so I did not try it but I love that it incorporates whole wheat bread. I save (freeze for bread crumbs, overnight french toast, etc.) all the heels of my bread so no waste. I used 93% lean ground beef and the meatloaf was still very moist. This is a great way to use horseradish from the garden.
Aug 23, 2016
My family really liked this zesty meatloaf! It was wonderful! A nice change from our regular recipe!
Aug 13, 2016
You know the saying, 'if it's not broke, don't fix it'? Well, that's how we feel about trying new meatloaf recipes - we have a pretty great traditional one. I LOVE horseradish and this immediately caught my eye. It was definitely a strong variation from our traditional but very tasty. I accidently forgot the chili sauce and it was still really good!
Jan 20, 2016
Ran across this recipe, and it is a keeper. Hubby and I both loved the taste, and it was juicy.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.