Sassy Salsa Meat Loaves
We still can’t settle on our favorite salsa, but, honestly, why bother? There are so many fantastic options! We love trying them all in this twist on classic meat loaf. You can make these loaves ahead, and they’ll last for a few days—perfect for meat loaf sandwiches topped with a little Monterey Jack cheese. —Tasha Tully, Owings Mills, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour 5 min. + standing
Makes2 loaves (6 servings each)
- 3/4 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 cups salsa, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese or Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook rice according to package directions; cool slightly. In a large bowl, combine tomato sauce, 1/2 cup salsa, onion, egg, celery, parsley, cilantro, garlic and seasonings; stir in rice. Add beef and turkey; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Shape into two 8x4-in. loaves on a greased rack in a broiler pan. Bake 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 165°.
- Spread with remaining salsa; sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- Freeze option: Bake meat loaves without topping. Cool; securely wrap in plastic, then foil. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Unwrap meat loaves; place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Reheat in a preheated 350° oven 40-45 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°; top as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 237 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 634mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Sassy Salsa Meatloaf in Light Recipes 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.