My kids love homemade banana bread, so why not make it in pancake form? These freeze well for a special breakfast any day. —Ally Billhorn, Wilton, Iowa
Recommended: 39 Amazing Ways to Love Whole Grains
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 2/3 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 medium)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sliced bananas and additional syrup, optional
- Whisk together first five ingredients. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, mashed banana, oil, 1 tablespoon syrup and vanilla. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
Preheat a griddle coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto griddle; cook until bubbles on top begin to pop and bottoms are golden brown. Turn; cook until second side is golden brown. If desired, serve with sliced bananas and additional syrup.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled pancakes between layers of waxed paper in a resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, place pancakes on an ungreased baking sheet, cover with foil and reheat in a preheated 375° oven until heated through, 10-15 minutes. Or, place a stack of two pancakes on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high until heated through, 45-60 seconds. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Whole Grain Banana Pancakes in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2017, p77