West African Chicken Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Hot cooked brown rice, optional
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, cook chicken over medium heat in 2 teaspoons oil for 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink; remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic and ginger; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the peas, tomatoes, sweet potato, broth, peanut butter, 1-1/4 teaspoons thyme and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potato is tender. Add chicken; heat through.
- Serve with rice if desired. Sprinkle with remaining thyme.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups (calculated without rice): 275 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 636mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 1, 2017
This is delicious and I'm moving it into my "Favorite Recipes" file! I wasn't crazy about the smell at first and started getting nervous but we had it with white rice and devoured it. It did take awhile for the sweet potatoes to cook but definitely worth the wait!
May 5, 2017
I followed the recipe exactly, other than to double the chicken. I microwaved the sweet potatoes for 5 mins before adding to the stew so they would be cooked quickly. From start to finish, the dish only took 45 min. Everyone loved it! Not bland at all to us. Maybe those who find it bland didn't add the cayenne or ginger????
Nov 16, 2016
Could i make this recipe in a crockpot? has anyone tried doing it that way? Was curious because a lot of the reviews said that the sweet potato took a while to cook. Maybe cooking in the crockpot and adding the peas last may help. I may try it
Oct 26, 2016
This was only average to us and I won't make again. I like all the ingredients but the combination just didn't work - the tomatoes predominated. The sweet potato, as others have mentioned, did take much longer than 20 minutes even with small chunks.
Oct 12, 2016
Awesome, easy to make adjustments to make vegan
Oct 12, 2016
This was so good! It is a definite comfort food stew! I will be making this again for sure. Love the peanut butter and ginger flavors!
Jan 24, 2016
Definitely needs more time to cook to get the sweet potatoes tender and my husband wanted it to have more chicken. Tasty!
Nov 25, 2015
Great recipe! I had to make a couple of modifications: I added one more sweet potato and 4 cubes of Knorr for seasoning.
Oct 5, 2015
Great and easy.
Dec 29, 2014
This was absolutely delicious. The only thing that kept this from being 5 stars was the fact that I had to cook this for 1 hr 15 mins before the sweet potatoes were tender. Glad I wasn't in a hurry for dinner!