Southwest Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup picante sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, corn, beans, picante sauce, water, cumin, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until corn is tender. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 344 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 847mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 7g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 19, 2014
I used 1 lb ground beef , 1 can cream of corn, omitted the salt and pepper. Didn't change anything else. Next time I'll use regular corn.
Jul 2, 2013
My daughters give this two thumbs up and I would have given it 5 stars, but there were no stars with which to rate it. :) It was easy and very tasty and I had all of the ingredients except for picante sauce. I used salsa instead. We had tortilla chips with ours.
Oct 30, 2012
Quick easy and tastey.
May 17, 2012
I made some adjustments to suit what I had on hand, and it was very delicious. Next time I will make sure to cook it in the crock pot so the flavors have more time to blend. Thanks for another great recipe!
Sep 10, 2011
Easy, quick and great flavor. I usually add more cumin for a bolder flavor. Never any leftovers of this stew. Definite family favorite.
Sep 10, 2011
This is absolutely a new family favorite. My young daughter always requests it!
Jun 26, 2011
My husband and two kids loved this recipe :-)
Feb 22, 2010
This is so easy and very nice on a cold day. Tasty too.
Nov 19, 2009
This is one of my families favorites and I love it because it is quick to prepare and I get raves at the table... family thinks I spend a lot of time at this, but truth be told I usually toss all the ingredients into a crock pot and let it prepare itself. Sometimes I use a chicken breast, pork chop or piece of beef roast to change it up. I spice it up a bit more with some chipotle pepper and chopped green chilies and it's always a hit!