Southwestern Stew Pot
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour 35 min.
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- Hot pepper sauce, optional
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a 4-qt. Dutch oven, brown meat in oil over medium heat; drain. Add the next eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add carrots; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the tomatoes, beans, corn and chilies; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until beef and vegetables are tender. Season with hot pepper sauce if desired. Serve over rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 293 calories, 11g fat (0 saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 525mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Sep 22, 2019
Oh my goodness the flavor is incredible, left overs were even better. So easy to fix....
Jul 18, 2019
I’ve been making this since it was first published, and it is an absolute go-to comfort food in my family. We make it as written only occasionally adding extra veggies like zucchini or potatoes. We mostly serve without rice, but we sometimes put some grated cheddar or even a slice of American on top. It’s always better the 2nd day and freezes beautifully. I’m making a pot right now at the request of a family member who had some surgery. First thing he asked for ??
Jan 7, 2018
I always receive compliments when I make this stew. Quick, easy and tasty!
Jun 25, 2017
Nothing warm us up on a cold day like this stew. It is soooo good!!
Feb 17, 2012
That was tasty but no way I could served 8 servings without rice so I have cooked rice to served with it. I put 1 pound beef instead of 2. We don`t like too savory so I added less salsa and I used Italian style diced tomatoes + little bit sugar.