African Peanut Sweet Potato Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes8 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 6 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 8 cups chopped fresh kale
- Chopped peanuts and additional cilantro leaves, optional
- Place the first eight ingredients in a food processor; process until pureed. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; stir in sweet potatoes, beans and water.
- Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until potatoes are tender, adding kale during the last 30 minutes. If desired, top each serving with chopped peanuts and additional cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 349 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 624mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 11g fiber), 10g protein.
Dec 10, 2017
So good! This tastes like an authentic African recipe. I am American & married an East African man. The culture was like stepping into a different world from my western heritage & German roots. But I loved the cultures & the foods, as Africans have a way of coming up with the best combination of spices. Traditionally, food is centered around vegetables or grains (varies depending on country & region) & meat is served as a side dish or not at all unless it is a special occasion. Sweet potatoes are a food that is eaten throughout the continent. I followed directions, but chop your kale fine! I used a food processor to chop my kale. I also waited until last 2 hours of cooking to add chickpeas & kale. I also used 1/2 the amount of kale. And I added about 2 cups extra water. Be brave & expand your food tastes! This is a delicious, healthy, filling stew. If your family prefers meat at each meal, as many Americans do, fry something like beef flank cut in thin strips with oil with pepper & onion. Serve on the side with this stew. Or make half the recipe & serve this as a side with something like a roast. And put more peanuts on top. I am so happy Alexis shared her mom's excellent recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.