Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Hot cooked rice
- Place potato in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, cinnamon, bay leaf and cloves in oil until onion is tender. Add the chicken, garlic, curry and ginger; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, salt and potato.
- Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove from the heat; discard cinnamon, bay leaf and cloves. Stir in sour cream. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 317 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 666mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 fat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Jul 2, 2014
Oct 11, 2012
My picky kids loved this! Next time I won't cook the potatoes as long, they didn't hold up to mixing. I kept most everything the same, but I added diced carrots to sauté with the onion because my kids will only eat carrots if they are cooked and mixed in something, so I thought I'd add some. They cleaned their bowls!
Jan 9, 2012
We enjoyed this, the whole spices made the dish smell great while cooking. The potato was a nice addition, it added texture to the dish. Quite tasty, and very easy to make. Family all agreed, it's a keeper!
May 9, 2011
Made this a second time, but used 12 ounces of diced buttercup squash (instead of potato), which I sauted with the onion, and used canned stewed tomatoes (instead of fresh). Turned out nicely.
Mar 31, 2011
This was my first try at Indian cooking. We liked it, but more, I liked how energetic I felt after eating it! Such a good healthy dish! He was saying that he liked to eat it after playing sports, and I agree! And it smells wonderful.
Mar 2, 2011
Yum! Yum! Yum!
Dec 1, 2010
tried this recipe, and made a few modifications. my husband and 2 small children LOVED it! Use 2 potatoes, boil them for only 5 minutes (otherwise they turn out like mashed potatoes). Use a tablespoon of curry powder. Use twice the recipe amount of minced ginger. Use twice the recipe amount of salt. Serve with Basmati rice. Dynamite!!! :)
Sep 6, 2010
This is excellent comfort food. I made this for my lunch group and everyone had seconds.
Aug 2, 2010
I have made this recipe and the entire family . Gave the recipe to my sisters and they both made and loved it. It is easy and fast will be sdded to my favorites list.
Jul 7, 2010
I thought this was a great recipe. Next time I make it I am going to make your curry powder, I have a feeling that would make it even better. Thanks for the recipe! Can't wait to try the rest.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.