Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1/4 cup za'atar seasoning
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 pounds bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 cup pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 1/2 cup pitted dried plums
- 1/4 cup water
- Hot cooked basmati rice, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Add chicken; toss to coat.
- Arrange olives, apricots and plums on the bottom of a 4- or 5-quart slow cooker. Add 1/4 cup water; top with chicken. Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 5-6 hours. If desired, serve with rice.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 484 calories, 32g fat (7g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 1367mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein.
Jan 18, 2020
I use Za'atar a lot. It can be bought at Meijer in the Mediterranean section and comes in a plastic bag. It's very cheap so don't spend a small fortune on it in the spice section of the grocery store.
Dec 26, 2019
The men in my family said they liked this and could eat it again. I must say, this is certainly not typical American fare--rather exotic, in my opinion. It's a recipe I would make once in awhile but not often. I had to make my own za'atar seasoning from a recipe off the internet. I may just purchase some pre-made Za'atar in a jar from Amazon for the next batch. It was colorful and the addition of dried fruits countered with briny olives provided good contrast with the chicken. I put our dish over cauliflower rice. I can't think of any changes I'd make to this recipe.
Aug 27, 2019
Delicious! Make sure to get the seasoning under the skin and let it sit covered in the fridge overnight.
Jan 2, 2019
This I a wonderfully and carefully balanced flavor able main dish. I served it with rice to sop up the juices. Next time I make it, I'm going to add shallots sliced in half lengthwise. I think the color contrast and delicate flavor addition would give this recipe an additional notch up. Try this recipe. It is so good.
Dec 9, 2018
I wish there was a cooking time on this for boneless skinless chicken thighs as well.