Chicken Tikka Masala
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 4-1/4 hours
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 jalapeno pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Hot cooked basmati rice
- Chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 13 ingredients. Add chicken, jalapeno and bay leaf. Cook, covered, on low 4 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove jalapeno and bay leaf.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cream until smooth; gradually stir into sauce. Cook, covered, on high 15-20 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Serve with rice. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro.
Test Kitchen tips
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups chicken mixture (calculated without rice): 381 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 864mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 33g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 13, 2018
Mar 26, 2018
Substitute boneless, skinless, chicken thighs wouldn't dry out as breasts will.Also cut the simmer time to 2 1/2 hours.
Jan 22, 2018
Just made this for dinner and the whole family loved it. Did not change a thing and it was just scrumptious...will be making again for sure!!!
Oct 23, 2016
Flavors are great but you will have way too much sauce! I almost doubled the amount of chicken and there was still a ton of sauce!
Sep 19, 2016
My family loved it--delicious and easy too.
Apr 12, 2016
My family loves this! I will sometimes cook the chicken, onion, garlic, and ginger in a skillet first. Then cook for a shorter amount of time. I have also exchanged the cream for low-fat milk, without missing anything.
Sep 15, 2015
Delicious! The whole family loved it!