Very Berry Spread
Two kinds of berries make this jam deliciously different. I always keep some on hand.—Irene Hagel, Choiceland, Saskatchewan
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Process: 10 min.
Makesabout 8 half-pints
- 5 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon bottled lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 6 cups sugar
- In a Dutch oven, combine the berries, lemon juice, zest and pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar; return to a full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat; skim off any foam. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
Editor's NoteThe processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. Add 1 minute to the processing time for each 1,000 feet of additional altitude.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 86 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 0 sodium, 22g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Very Berry Spread in Crafting Traditions May/June 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.