I've always loved strawberries. Each time they're in season, I think of new and interesting ways to use them. I spoon this strawberry curd over just about everything, from waffles and pancakes to cake and ice cream. —Margo Zoerner, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place strawberries and raspberries in a blender; cover and process until almost smooth. Press through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl; reserve 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon juice. Discard seeds.
- In a small heavy saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in egg yolks and berry puree until blended. Add butter; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon and a thermometer reads at least 170°. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately; stir in vanilla.
- Transfer to a bowl; cool. Press plastic wrap onto surface of curd; refrigerate until cold. Serve or transfer to covered jars and refrigerate up to 2 weeks.