Custard Berry Parfaits
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2/3 cups 1% milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups mixed fresh berries
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Gently stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Transfer to a bowl; press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, spoon 1/4 cup of berries into each parfait glass; top with 2 tablespoons of custard. Repeat layers.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 119 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 137mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
May 3, 2013
This recipe may require some **tinkering** on my part since am insulin dependent diabetes. Looking fwd. to playing with recipe, soon. Thank you for sharing.
Aug 14, 2010
Delicious! Adults and children loved it equally. I would definately make this again.
Jul 30, 2010
great recipe - only 1 weight watcher point
Jul 22, 2010
Very yummy. Almost taste like there's a spice in it. Nice to have the sauce on the side to add to the fruit as needed.
Jul 22, 2010
I am reading exchanges from Lilly diabetes planning guide that I received from my dietician. 1 fruit exchange is "3/4 cup blackberries or blueberries; or 1 cup rasberries; or 1 1/4 cup strawberries" This recipe only uses 1/2 cup berries per serving. I don't think the exchanges are correct as listed. I would be healthier with a cup of berries 60 calories and 1/2 cup sugar free pudding 65 calories.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.