- 8 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 6 quarts water
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 12 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 cups medium pearl barley
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1-1/2 pounds carrots, sliced
- 1 pound chopped cabbage
- 1 pound onions, chopped
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen green beans
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen peas
- Toss beef with flour, salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven, brown the meat in batches in oil; drain. Transfer to a large stockpot or soup kettle; add garlic, bay leaves, thyme, water, tomato sauce and juice, bouillon and barley. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour. Add vegetables; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until vegetables and meat are tender. Remove bay leaves. Yield: 50 servings.
Reviews forVegetable Beef Soup for 50
"I served a group of 21 men with this recipe and not only did everyone have their fill, but we also had enough left over for our house of 7 to have lunch the next day. This was a great tasting, easy recipe. I used 7lbs. of stew meat and used up some fresh green beans that were left over from a previous meal. One note of warning, if the title does that make this clear enough; you will need a very large pot! I will make this recipe many more times over the years!"
"sounds really good, I would probably add some onions and celery."