- 1 beef chuck roast (2-1/2 to 3 pounds)
- 4 quarts water
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomatoes with liquid, cut up
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Place roast in a large Dutch oven or soup kettle. Add water, barley, onion, celery, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until meat is tender. Remove meat; cool. Cut into bite-size pieces. Skim fat from broth. Add beef and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 15-20 servings (6 quarts).
Reviews forVegetable Beef Soup
"This soup is delicious. It makes a really big amount. I was able to freeze some to enjoy later."
"This was an overall good recipe but i think it was lacking flavor. A few quick tweaks to the spices and I feel that this will become a regular. I cooked it in my pressure cooker and it did a wonderful jo"
"Added some cabbage and loved it"
"The soup is great, however, I've made it two ways. One way with Ditalini (added in at the end) and the other way with Barley. In both versions I've used Progresso beef Broth and Goya beef bouillon and a packet of beef Onion Gravy mix. The Ditalini version has better flavor by far. I also subbed out the tomatoes for a mixture of Del Monte diced tomato with Jalapeno and Del Monte Italian style stewed tomatoes. At the end added in a few shots of Worcestershire. The pasta version gives a flavor that matches the aroma, where the barley version seems to have a weaker flavor and aroma. In both version the finished product came out to 12 quarts."
"Good recipe, but needs beef bouillon or broth added for flavor -without may lack taste & be "watery". Will use again with this modification"