Vanilla & Cinnamon-Kissed Apple Latkes
Latkes are crispy fried pancakes, often made with potatoes. But this sweet version with apples, orange juice, cinnamon and vanilla falls in the dessert realm. —Candy McMenamin, Lexington, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 pounds apples (about 6 large apples), peeled and shredded
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in the orange juice, milk, eggs and vanilla until blended; fold in apples.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into oil; press lightly to flatten. Fry in batches until golden brown on both sides, using remaining oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
Nutrition Facts3 latkes with 1 teaspoon cinnamon-sugar: 422 calories, 17g fat (2g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Vanilla and Cinnamon Kissed Apple Latkes in Taste of Home December/January 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.