Cinnamon Sticky-Bun Ice Cream
This creamy homemade cinnamon ice cream has a rich caramel swirl and chunks of cinnamon buns. Serve the extra caramel sauce over this or other ice cream or pound cake.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + freezing
- 1-3/4 cups whole milk
- 2/3 cup plus 2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 2 baked cinnamon buns, cubed
- 9 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat milk and 2/3 cup sugar until bubbles form around sides of pan. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Quickly transfer to a bowl; place in ice water and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in 2 cups cream, cinnamon and vanilla. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- For caramel, combine the butter, water and corn syrup in a heavy saucepan. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until butter is melted. Add the remaining sugar; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat without stirring. Boil for 4 minutes without stirring. Continue to boil for 12-15 minutes, stirring constantly or until mixture is caramel-colored. Remove from the heat. Carefully stir in remaining cream until smooth; set aside to cool.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze.
- In a large freezer container, layer a third of the ice cream, 1/2 cup caramel, 2/3 cup cinnamon buns and 3 tablespoons pecans. Repeat two times. Swirl mixture; freeze until firm. Serve with remaining caramel.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 425 calories, 30g fat (17g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Cinnamon Bun Ice Cream in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.