This recipe came from my grandmother and was originally written in German. It is one of my favorite treat at the holidays.—Jessie Barnes, Atchison, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4-3/4 to 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup mixed candied fruit
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, salt and 3 cups flour. Add the raisins, candied fruit and almonds. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down and divide in half; cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll or press each half into a 12x7-in. oval. Fold a long side over to within 1 in. of opposite side; press edge lightly to seal. Place on greased baking sheets; curve ends slightly. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Combine confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; spread over stollen.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 244 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.