Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Jam of your choice, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk egg and buttermilk until blended; add to crumb mixture just until moistened.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead 10 times. Divide dough in half; pat each portion into a 5-in. circle. Cut each circle into six wedges.
- Separate wedges and place 1 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with jam if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 144 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 28, 2016
These remind me of the scones I had when I took my daughter's out to tea. They are the epitome of the traditional English scone. Crusty exterior with a light, fluffy inside. The perfect vehicle for your favorite jam, flavored butters or cream. This is my go to recipe for scones from now on. Perfection.
Aug 31, 2014
I had been looking for a scone recipe that would showcase my homemade jam. I picked these because there were no added fruits or flavors. These were so easy to make and so good! Perfect with jam, butter, and/or honey.
Sep 21, 2009
Wonderful! Light, easy, great tasting.