- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Jam of your choice, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk egg and buttermilk until blended; add to crumb mixture just until moistened.
- 2. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead 10 times. Divide dough in half; pat each portion into a 5-in. circle. Cut each circle into six wedges.
- 3. Separate wedges and place 1 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with jam if desired.
1 each: 144 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Aug 28, 2016
These remind me of the scones I had when I took my daughter's out to tea. They are the epitome of the traditional English scone. Crusty exterior with a light, fluffy inside. The perfect vehicle for your favorite jam, flavored butters or cream. This is my go to recipe for scones from now on. Perfection.
Aug 31, 2014
I had been looking for a scone recipe that would showcase my homemade jam. I picked these because there were no added fruits or flavors. These were so easy to make and so good! Perfect with jam, butter, and/or honey.
Dec 31, 1969
Wonderful! Light, easy, great tasting.