Afternoon Tea Scones
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup dried currants or raisins
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk the egg, sour cream, lemon zest and orange zest; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in currants. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Roll into a 7-in. circle In a small bowl, beat egg yolk and water. Brush over dough. Cut into six wedges. Transfer to a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 295 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 559mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 6, 2010
I makes these a lot on the farm and most often I leave the lemon and orange peel out and add chopped glaze' cherries and chopped pecans along with the sultanas. I get asked for the recipe all the time.