Afternoon Tea Scones
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup dried currants or raisins
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk the egg, sour cream, lemon zest and orange zest; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in currants. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Roll into a 7-in. circle In a small bowl, beat egg yolk and water. Brush over dough. Cut into six wedges. Transfer to a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 295 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 559mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Feb 6, 2010
I makes these a lot on the farm and most often I leave the lemon and orange peel out and add chopped glaze' cherries and chopped pecans along with the sultanas. I get asked for the recipe all the time.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.