Oma’s Marzipan Stollen
My German grandma followed this stollen recipe and made it for us when we were young. I love this dessert. It tastes great, and it reminds me of her and the German food she made. I often freeze this sweet bread once it's shaped into a braid. Then I can pull it out the night before, let it rise on the counter overnight, and bake it in the morning. —Abigail Leszczynski, Beauford, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 can (12-1/2 ounces) almond cake and pastry filling
- 1 cup finely ground almonds
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon 2% milk
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar and yeast. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add lemon zest; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat almond pastry filling, almonds, milk and extract. Punch dough down; turn onto a floured surface. Divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 15x6-in. rectangle. Spread each portion with a third of the filling to within 1/4 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long slide; pinch seam to seal. Place ropes on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Using a sharp knife, make a 1/2-in.-deep cut lengthwise down the center each rope, stopping 1/2 in. from ends. Keeping cut surfaces facing up, braid ropes. Pinch ends to seal; tuck under.
- Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake until golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Combine glaze ingredients to desired consistency; drizzle over warm stollen.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 270 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 73mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Oma's Marzipan Stollen in Taste of Home October/November 2019