Oma’s Marzipan Stollen
My German grandma made this stollen for us when we were young. I love its homey taste and how it reminds me of her and the German food she made. I often freeze this sweet bread once it’s shaped into a braid. Then I can pull it out the night before, let it rise on the counter overnight, and bake it in the morning. —Abigail Leszczynski, Beauford, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 can (12-1/2 ounces) almond cake and pastry filling
- 1 cup finely ground almonds
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon 2% milk
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar and yeast. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add lemon zest; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat almond pastry filling, almonds, milk and extract. Punch dough down; turn onto a floured surface. Divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 15x6-in. rectangle. Spread each portion with a third of the filling to within 1/4 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long slide; pinch seam to seal. Place ropes on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Using a sharp knife, make a 1/2-in.-deep cut lengthwise down the center of each rope, stopping 1/2 in. from ends. Keeping cut surfaces facing up, braid ropes. Pinch ends to seal; tuck under.
- Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake until golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Combine glaze ingredients to desired consistency; drizzle over warm stollen.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 270 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 73mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.