Total TimePrep: 1 hour. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes3 loaves (12 slices each)
- 1-3/4 cups chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons rum, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1 can (8 ounces) almond paste
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 to 2-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, combine candied fruits and 1/2 cup rum; let stand, covered, 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine milk, butter, sugar, salt, lemon zest, almond extract, remaining rum, yeast mixture and 4 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Cover and let stand in a warm place, about 30 minutes.
- Beat in eggs. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Drain candied fruit, reserving rum for glaze. Reserve 1/2 cup candied fruit for topping. Stir almonds and remaining candied fruit into dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough; divide into 3 portions. On a greased baking sheet, roll each portion into a 12-in. circle. Crumble one-third of the almond paste over one-half of each circle. Fold dough partially in half, covering filling and placing top layer within 1 in. of bottom edge. Cover with kitchen towels and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolk and water; brush over loaves. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cover loosely with foil if tops brown too quickly. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix reserved rum with enough confectioners' sugar to make a thin glaze. Drizzle over stollen. Sprinkle with reserved candied fruit.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 278 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 241mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Feb 1, 2018
I have always wanted to make stollen, and finally did. This was so good, I will make it often from now on. I did omit the lemon peel because of an allergy, but otherwise, followed the directions exactly, and it was perfect!! It not only tasted exceptionally good, it was a beautiful addition to my dinner table