Total TimePrep: 1 hour. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes3 loaves (12 slices each)
- 1-3/4 cups chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons rum, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1 can (8 ounces) almond paste
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 to 2-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, combine candied fruits and 1/2 cup rum; let stand, covered, 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine milk, butter, sugar, salt, lemon zest, almond extract, remaining rum, yeast mixture and 4 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Cover and let stand in a warm place, about 30 minutes.
- Beat in eggs. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Drain candied fruit, reserving rum for glaze. Reserve 1/2 cup candied fruit for topping. Stir almonds and remaining candied fruit into dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough; divide into 3 portions. On a greased baking sheet, roll each portion into a 12-in. circle. Crumble one-third of the almond paste over one-half of each circle. Fold dough partially in half, covering filling and placing top layer within 1 in. of bottom edge. Cover with kitchen towels and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolk and water; brush over loaves. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cover loosely with foil if tops brown too quickly. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix reserved rum with enough confectioners' sugar to make a thin glaze. Drizzle over stollen. Sprinkle with reserved candied fruit.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 278 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 241mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 1, 2018
I have always wanted to make stollen, and finally did. This was so good, I will make it often from now on. I did omit the lemon peel because of an allergy, but otherwise, followed the directions exactly, and it was perfect!! It not only tasted exceptionally good, it was a beautiful addition to my dinner table