Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup almond paste
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- EGG WASH:
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add milk and egg yolks to yeast mixture; mix well. Stir into crumb mixture; mix well. Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each piece into a 12-in. circle; cut each circle into eight wedges. In a small bowl, beat filling ingredients until smooth. Spread filling over wedges; roll up from wide end. Place with point side down 3 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Curve ends to form a crescent shape. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour (dough will not double).
- Beat egg white and water; brush over croissants. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
1 each: 296 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 278mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.