Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 2 tablespoons chopped candied orange peel
- 2 tablespoons chopped candied lemon peel
- 4 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- 1 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs, room temperature, beaten
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the candied peel, water and extracts; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, almonds, baking powder, salt, mace and cardamom. Cut in 4 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in the cottage cheese, eggs, raisins, currants and candied peel mixture; form into a ball. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 5 times. Roll dough into a 10x8-in. oval. Fold a long side over to within 1 in. of opposite side; press edge lightly to seal.
- Place on a greased baking sheet; curve ends slightly. Melt remaining butter; brush over dough. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 195 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 195mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 7, 2015
I have been looking for the perfect stollen recipe for a long time. This is as close as I ever hope to come. She nailed the flavors -- the citrus, the raisins and currants, and the extracts. She also nailed the texture. I don't want my stollen to be like yeast bread or like cake; I think it should be like a moist biscotti, and that's exactly what this one is like. THANKS!