Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 eggs plus 2 egg yolks
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup diced citron or mixed candied fruit and peel
- 1/2 cup sliced candied cherries
- Melted butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 5 to 6 teaspoons milk
- Blanched whole almonds and additional candied fruit
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1/2 teaspoon sugar in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the milk, butter, salt, cardamom, eggs, egg yolks,remaining sugar and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in the raisins, citron, cherries and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch down; divided into thirds. Roll each piece on a floured surface into a 10-in. x 6-in. oval. Brush with melted butter. Fold one long side over to within 1 in. of the opposite side. Press edges to seal. Place on greased baking sheets. Brush with melted butter. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. For icing, combine confectioners' sugar and milk; spread over cooled bread. Decorate with almonds and fruit.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 172 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Dec 22, 2016
I have made this several times as written. It is fantastic. This time I made 4 one pound loaves. Left the frosting off. My favorite way to eat the bread is toasted with butter only. The bread freezes well.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.