That’s Amore Baked Potatoes
We add a touch of Italy to these baked potatoes with beefed up spaghetti sauce, pepperoni and more. Now, that's amore!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (24 ounces) spaghetti sauce with mushrooms
- 5 ounces pepperoni, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Scrub and pierce potatoes; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 15 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- In a Dutch oven, cook the ground beef, green pepper, carrot, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the spaghetti sauce, pepperoni, wine, oregano and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, cut an "X" in each potato; fluff pulp with a fork. Spoon sauce over potatoes and sprinkle with cheese. Microwave until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed potato: 794 calories, 35g fat (15g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 1279mg sodium, 73g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 7g fiber), 42g protein.
Originally published as That's Amore Baked Potato in Simple & Delicious August/September 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.