Terrific Tomato Tart
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 12 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 large yellow tomato, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 to 6 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper; brush with 1/2 teaspoon oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon bread crumbs. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Repeat layers, being careful to brush oil all the way to edges.
- Fold each side 3/4 in. toward center to form a rim. Spread with pesto and sprinkle with half of the feta cheese. Alternately arrange the red and yellow tomato slices over cheese. Sprinkle with pepper and remaining feta.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden brown and crispy. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove parchment paper before cutting. Garnish with basil.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 135 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 221mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Jul 16, 2009
Frankly for us the oil and the breadcrumbs were a waste of effort. It worked just as well with a light spray of Olivio or other kitchen oil spray such as buttered pam and cut the fat.
Dec 26, 2007
Very familiar recipe, almost like it was modified slightly or just copied!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.