Basil Tomato Tart
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- Pastry for a single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 5 to 6 fresh plum tomatoes
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Roll pastry to fit a 9-in. tart pan or pie plate; place in pan. Do not prick. Line pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil.
- Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; bake 8 minutes more. Remove from the oven. Reduce heat to 375°. Sprinkle 1/2 cup mozzarella over the hot crust.
- Cut each tomato into eight wedges; remove seeds. Arrange over cheese.
- In a food processor, process the basil and garlic until coarsely chopped; sprinkle over tomatoes.
- Combine mayonnaise, Parmesan, pepper and the remaining mozzarella; spoon over basil. Bake, uncovered, until the cheese is browned and bubbly, 20-25 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 345 calories, 27g fat (12g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 413mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 19, 2014
Nov 23, 2010
Though I started making this as a joke for my pie loving, tomato hating family ("tomato pie??") it has become a favorite, highly requested dish! I also thinly slice the tomatoes, as the other commenter stated. And substitute half the mayo with sour cream instead. (Gives a little different texture.)
Sep 3, 2010
This recipe is awesome and really simple to make. I have made it several times for family and work gatherings and I always have to sneak a piece for me because it disappears so quickly. A couple of things I did differently was to slice the tomatoes instead of cutting them into wedges. That way every slice has tomatoes in it. I also use extra garlic because i love it and I don't use the food processor. It's easier and doesn't really make a difference as far as I'm concerned and from the way it disappears it doesn't matter to anyone else either!