Rustic Tomato Cheese Tart
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 7 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 7 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
- 1 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 4 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush with oil and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon goat cheese. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Repeat layers, brushing oil all the way to edges.
- Sprinkle onion over top to within 1 in. of edges; sprinkle with fontina cheese. Arrange tomato slices in a slightly overlapping pattern over fontina cheese. Sprinkle with chives, basil, salt and pepper. Bring up edges of tart over filling.
- Bake until crust is golden brown, 30-35 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 134 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 174mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 27, 2016
I made this today; it was a hit. I find phyllo intimidating but it worked ok. The 7 sheets of phyllo are EACH brushed with oil and sprinkled with feta. [in response to an earlier question] When I tried to "bring the edges of tart over filling", the edges didn't want to stay upright, so I rolled up foil and wrapped it around the edge to create a support for the edge. It worked great. Once baked, I removed the foil support, transferred the tart on parchment paper to a serving platter, and trimmed the parchment paper. Everyone loved it.
Jul 2, 2016
Made this for a luncheon. Everyone loved it. Looking to make it again soon.
Dec 26, 2015
I made this for a summer luncheon using garden tomatoes. Besides tasting great, it is beautiful. Everyone loved it. I was gobbled up!
Jul 26, 2014
Made it for my women's club lunchen , they loved it..........and so did I!
Jul 23, 2014
I added 1 clove of garlic-minced, used big boy tomatoes- sliced, mozzarella cheese & cream cheese. Absolutely yummy. My favorite new recipe.
Jul 11, 2014
This is an excellent recipe - I LOVE it! You can add meat or any other kind of veggies on this, too, to make it your own. Thank you!
Nov 9, 2013
Easy and delicious
Oct 19, 2013
I made it like the recipe.....You cannot change perfection, and this is perfection!!!!!!!
Sep 15, 2013
Very good! I used a store bought shredded Italian cheese blend instead of fontina, and cream cheese instead of goat cheese. The phyllo part was a little labor intensive, but worth the trouble. Mine was ready after just 20 mins.
Aug 12, 2013
I used cream cheese instead of goat cheese and mozzarella instead of fontina, much cheaper and just as good!