Tangy Asparagus Soup
A dollop of creme fraiche makes this pretty soup an ideal starter for an elegant spring dinner party. A cheese crisp on the side is the perfect finishing touch. —Jamie Concannon, Plymouth, California
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup sliced shallots
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add shallots; cook and stir until tender. Add asparagus; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, wine and coriander. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until asparagus is tender. Do not drain. Cool slightly. Place in blender; cover and process until pureed. Stir in pepper. Keep warm.
- To make crisps, heat a lightly greased small skillet over medium heat. Add about 2 tablespoons cheese; cook for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is bubbly. Carefully flip the Parmesan crisp; cook 30 seconds longer. Remove to waxed paper to cool. Repeat.
- In a small bowl, combine the creme fraiche, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Ladle soup into cups; dollop with creme fraiche mixture. Serve with Parmesan crisps.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 191 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 606mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Oct 23, 2011
perfect! absolutely DELICIOUS!
Mar 25, 2011
This soup was absolutely delicious. I omitted the cream topping and I did not have any corriander to add to the soup. A new favorite!