Surprise Monkey Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
Makes1 loaf (12 servings)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tubes (12 ounces each) refrigerated flaky buttermilk biscuits
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into 20 cubes
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat brown sugar and butter on high for 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved; set aside.
- Flatten each biscuit into a 3-in. circle. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon in the center of each biscuit. Top with a cream cheese cube. Fold dough over filling; pinch edges to seal tightly.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup walnuts into a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray. Layer with half of the biscuits, cinnamon-sugar and butter mixture and 1/2 cup walnuts. Repeat layers.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately invert onto a serving platter. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 467 calories, 24g fat (10g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 625mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 10, 2018
This is a very confusing recipe. You have 16 biscuits, but it says to cut the cream cheese into 20 cubes. It's good though.
Jan 31, 2015
My whole family loved this bread. It was so hard to walk away from it!
Nov 11, 2014
My hubby and daughter both said these were delicious! I made homemade biscuits, but otherwise made as directed. Thanks for sharing!
Oct 24, 2014
Everybody loved this one. Want it again soon!
Aug 19, 2014
I have been making this for ages. Came from one of Paula Deen's cookbooks and was called Gorilla Bread (according to Paula it kicks monkey bread's butt.)
Mar 13, 2014
Absolutely LOVE this bread - for breakfast, as dessert - anytime! It is scrumptious!
Nov 30, 2013
Dec 7, 2011
I made this for my husband coffee group. The men didn't leave me a crumb. One of the guys said this is the best recipe yet. I always made them "monkey bread"
Oct 16, 2011
Made this for a family brunch, and everyone all 25 family members loved it.
Apr 25, 2011
Delicious and easy! I made this Saturday night and refrigerated it overnight until I baked it Sunday morning, and it turned out great. But remember (as I did NOT) that if your cake pan has a dark interior finish, set your oven 25 degrees cooler.