"With an abundance of squash, green peppers, tomatoes and onion from our garden, this fresh-tasting recipe is both easy and economical to prepare," writes Doris Stein from Ojai, California. For a more substantial side dish, add cubed cooked ham and sprinkle with cheese.
Recommended: 65 Heart-Healthy Suppers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 small zucchini or yellow summer squash, cut int 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small green pepper, julienned
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a skillet, saute the zucchini, green pepper and onion in butter until crisp-tender. Stir in the tomato and ham if desired; heat through. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. remove from the heat. Top with cheese if desired; cover and let stand until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Summer Squash Stir-Fry in Taste of Home August/September 2002, p10