Cheesy Summer Squash Casserole
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 small yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons crushed cornflakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- In a small saucepan, combine squash, onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until squash is crisp-tender. Drain.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg, mayonnaise, sugar, pepper and remaining salt until blended. Stir in cheese and squash mixture. Transfer to a greased 2-cup baking dish. Toss the cornflakes and butter; sprinkle over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is not recommended for this recipe.
May 21, 2017
I made this for a recent potluck and it was creamy, cheesy and delicious. The cornflake topping makes it an attractive dish and adds a nice crunch.
Aug 20, 2016
This dish was so good that it was all I ate for dinner the other night. DELICIOUS !!!
Aug 10, 2016
Absolutely delicious! Made this for the first time tonight - will definitely be making it many more times!
Aug 2, 2016
Good casserole! I doubled the recipe, except for the sugar and salt, and used a heaping cup of cheese. Didn't have cornflakes, so I used butter crackers. Definitely worth a try, especially if you have an abundance of summer squash to use up!
Jul 24, 2016
Made this recipe with summer squash and zucchini. Added some minced garlic and used panko because I did not have corn flakes. I placed the onion and squash in a large measuring cup along with 2 tablespoons of water. Covered and vented it and microwaved it for 5 minutes. Drained it and patted it dry. I wanted a lighter dish so I skipped the egg. Baked it according to directions. I came out deliciously hot and bubbly. Loved it. Want to try the technique with cauliflower and maybe carrots!!!!
Oct 16, 2015
Easy and cheap to make. Several friends asked for the recipe. Added a little parmesan.
Aug 17, 2015
Yum! I cut up 9 small yellow squash (approx. 5-6" long) that amounted to approx. 8 c. Used 4 eggs and 1 c. mayo. I didn't have the recipe in front of me and forgot the onion and sugar, but it was just fine without it. Approx. 1 c. of cheese. Added a couple dashes of an herb blend. Didn't have cornflakes so crushed some croutons on top. It was very good!!
Jan 3, 2015
I have been regularly making this recipe since it was first published. Many times I have quadrupled the portions and brought it to family get togethers. Everyone loves it. Best squash casserole recipe I've found. The only thing I do different is crush New York Texas Toast garlic and butter croutons for the topping.
Aug 4, 2014
This was only ok. Maybe I just don't like summer squash?
Jul 17, 2014
Really good easy recipe even ate it cold!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.