Spring Greens with Beets and Goat Cheese
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2/3 cup pecan halves
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon stone-ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) sliced beets, drained
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- In a large heavy skillet, cook the pecans, 1 tablespoon vinegar and water over medium heat until nuts are toasted, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar. Cook and stir for 2-4 minutes or until sugar is melted. Spread on foil to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk the oil, syrup, mustard, salt and remaining vinegar. Refrigerate until serving.
- In a large bowl, combine salad greens and dressing; toss to coat. Divide among eight salad plates. Top with beets, goat cheese and glazed pecans.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 268 calories, 22g fat (7g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 299mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Jan 2, 2017
I've always been a fan of beets in salads. This is a great combination of flavors and textures.
Oct 11, 2012
Everyone I serve this to, loves it
Sep 29, 2012
The goat cheese and toasted nuts are the perfect compliment to one another.
Jan 2, 2012
OMG, I make this often. Or at least the dressing because it is so good. This is another ToH classic to which all of the old reviews are missing.
Jun 2, 2010
I have made this salad many times and it is always LOVED! There are never leftovers!
Jan 6, 2010
I made this for a Christmas brunch and it was a huge hit. Would definitely like to try it with the fresh beets as other reviews recommended.
Dec 20, 2009
It was a hit. All loved it.
Sep 30, 2009
I also used roasted beets. and feta cheese. yummie!! Kids loved it too.
Jul 8, 2009
Try it with roasted beets instead of canned -- this is a whole different experience! Even my food snob all organic sister liked it! To roast beets: cut off top, scrub & wrap each beet in foil. Baked at 350 until tender (press on the packet to test). Let cool (in fridge is fine), then peel & slice. One large beet or two smaller ones gives enough for the recipe. CAUTION: put cooked beets on a plate or in a bowl in fridge, as they may leak. Also wear gloves to peel or you will have pink fingers.
Jun 6, 2009
I made this for my husband and now he can't get enough of it! We just thought this was THE BEST.