Spirals and Cheese
“My grandchildren simply love my macaroni and cheese.” What family wouldn’t go for the classic comfort of this warm, cheesy dish on blustery winter evenings? It’s sure to be a favorite with your gang, too! Flo Burtnett - Gage, OK
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3-1/2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add 2 cups cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Drain pasta. Add to cheese mixture; toss gently to coat. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; add bread crumbs and remaining cheddar and Parmesan cheeses. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 569 calories, 27g fat (18g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 817mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Macaroni and Cheese in Simple & Delicious January/February 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.