Corned Beef Pizza Swirls
You don't have to wait until St. Patrick's Day to enjoy this easy Reuben appetizer. Deli meat and cheese make it doable year-round. —Colleen Delawder, Herndon, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- THOUSAND ISLAND SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons finely diced dill pickles
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 dashes Louisiana-style hot sauce
- Dash garlic powder
- PIZZA SWIRLS:
- 3/4 pound thinly sliced corned beef
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced lacy Swiss cheese
- Add sugar and yeast to warm milk; let stand 15 minutes. Beat yeast mixture, oil, kosher salt and caraway seeds until blended. Beat in flour, 1/2 cup at a time, just until combined. With oiled hands, place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, mix all ingredients for Thousand Island sauce; refrigerate.
- Punch down dough. To assemble pizza swirls, turn dough onto a well-floured surface; roll into a 15x10-in. rectangle. Arrange corned beef and cheese slices to within 3/4 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal and tuck ends under. Cut crosswise into 1-in. slices. Place slices, sides touching, on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cover pizza swirls with greased foil; let stand 20 minutes. Bake, covered, 20 minutes; remove foil and bake until golden brown, 15-20 minutes longer. Serve warm with Thousand Island sauce.
If your milk is too cold, you may not activate the yeast; if it's too warm, you may kill it. To be safe, use a thermometer. Allow the pizza dough to double in size before rolling it out, which may take anywhere between 2 and 4 hours depending on how warm your house is. Using a mezzaluna makes cutting the pizza swirls quick and effortless. If using prepared pizza dough, scatter 1 teaspoon caraway seeds on top before layering with corned beef and cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 pizza swirl: 290 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 807mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Corned Beef Pizza Swirls in Taste of Home Feb/Mar 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.